Report From CDC Convention in Fresno

From: Alan Dechert <adechert_at_earthlink_dot_net>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 13:21:43 CDT

We probably should have had a larger room. There was seating for about
30 -- we probably had another 10 people standing or sitting on the floor.
The discussion was very active. I heard one thing I have not encountered
before. One woman insisted on retaining the private paper absentee ballot
she is used to voting with. I explained that the current absentee ballot
system is fraud prone. I should have mention that George Bush gained
thousands of votes in Florida in 2000 that he would not had received
otherwise by aggressively working the absentee vote.

The resolution that came out of the workshop was compatible with our system.
It was amended to include the paper absentee ballot, but the wording was
such that we could claim our system meets this requirement.

It was fun and I thank Dennis for inviting me. Most of these people were
hearing about our project for the first time. Quite a few people came up to
talk afterwards. I think people appreciated knowing that while there are
all these problems with computerized voting, a better system is in the
works.

- -- Alan Dechert