Re[2]: Fw: answers

From: Matteo Giacomazzi <giacomazzi_at_programmazione_dot_it>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 12:07:46 CDT

>> May I ask you why you think that the finished product will be coded
>> in C/C++?
>>

AD> Well, first off I didn't say "will be."

In fact you said "will probably be", but I hope you got the point of
my question. ;)

AD> It is not certain at all. However, the thinking here has to do
AD> with auditability. Auditability is not important for the demo.
AD> However, when we deliver the actual voting system software,
AD> auditability will be a major point. Using a higher level language
AD> like Python adds an additional layer of auditing issues.

Well, not sure if I can easily get your point.
Auditing a program written in a higher lever language like Python
should be easier than auditing a program written in a high level
language like C.

AD> Also, performance is not much of an issue for the demo -- it may
AD> be more of an issue for the actual voting system.

Well, as long as the voting machine should not compute some billion of
floating point operations per second, I guess even a Python program on
a Linux box equiped with an old Pentium 100 could easily afford what's
requested! :)

AD> On the other hand, I notice the FEC guidelines seem to embrace
AD> "high level languages" for voting system software.

Hard to say that Python is not an high level language! :)

AD> So -- bottom line -- I don't really know. C/C++ is just a guess.
AD> Keep in mind that the demo software is throw away software.

Sure!
But I want to point out that writing, testing, maintaing and
documenting a Python software could be some orders of magnetude easier
than the corresponding C/C++ software.

- --
Regards,
  Matteo