regarding the FEC documents

From: David Mertz, Ph_dot_D_dot_ <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 11:29:20 CDT

- -------- Forwarded message --------
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:56:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Dr_dot_ David Mertz" <gnosis_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
To: Adrianne Wang <xinxin_2000@yahoo.com>
Cc: <voting-project@lists.sonic.net>
Subject: Re: regarding the FEC documents
Hi Adrianne,

|Dear Dr. David,

Probably just "David" is a good form of address... but if you're
really fond of the formal form, I presume "Dr. Mertz" makes more
sense :-).

|Doug Jones suggested that we read FEC documents to see what
|might be important to know for the demo The 2002 voluntary
|Federal Voting System Standards. These standards are available
|from the Federal Election Commission web site,

I just got back in town yesterday, and need to spend a little
more time reviewing all the background from Alan's site to make
sure I understand where the project stands, and to figure out
what I think my best role is.

FWIW, I've run the general idea by my publishing contact, and
think I can get some coverage at IBM developerWorks (and at
O'Reilly ONLamp I am pretty sure). But those would have to
largely address the technical aspects of the design (i.e. how
Python or XML are used). The actually political purpose is
something I would need to squeeze in at a subliminal level (a
skill I possess).

I've read through the mailing list comments since I subscribed,
and I have a few technical suggestions to add. But again, I want
to be confident of the status quo ante before proposing
directions. By tomorrow I should post something to the list.

Al that said, I would be happy to take responsibility for
analyzing and summarizing the FEC Voting System
guidelines/standards. But it will probably be a couple days
before I can take a thorough look. I've read enough legal
documents to have a pretty good sense of what to look for (albeit
never in this particular area).

Yours, David...