Re: Voting System Standards

From: Douglas W_dot_ Jones <jones_at_cs_dot_uiowa_dot_edu>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 08:37:06 CDT

> Yep, reading those rules is necessary. I will spend time to read them.
> For the demo, do we need to really consider the rules as well? Also,
> what Douglas brought reminds me that if I will be qualificatory to
> involve this project after it goes to the further steps because I am
> not a citizen yet.

Noncitizen status is irrelevant to this. There's a Dutch company,
NEDAP, that's starting to market its DRE system in the United
States, and their status as an overseas supplier is not a problem.
In fact, they have some extremely good ideas about how to produce
an auditable DRE system with no paper trail.

Their model is that the system is constructed with an audit plug
on the side -- to which one of two electronically indistinguishable
devices may be connected, either a dongle (basically a terminator)
that mimics the behavior of the audit device, or an audit device,
basically a printer that captures all critical aspects of the vote.

In the runup to the election, all voting machines in the jurisdiction
are configured indentically, including spares. On election day,
the audit team converges on a randomly selected polling place with
a spare machine and pulls from service one of the machines previously
delivered to that precinct, right before the polls open, replacing
it with their spare. Then, for the duration of the election day,
they invite voters who've finished voting on the real machine to
help them test the machine they pulled for audit. The voter is told
to vote any way they want, not to express their actual interest in
the issue, but to test the machine. This vote is out in the open,
with each keypress or screen touch recorded and the complete ballot,
as voted, displayed on an adding machine tape printed by the audit
printer. The voter is asked to check this, and then at the end of the
day, the adding machine tapes are hand counted by the audit team
and compared with the machine count from that machine. Note that the
machine did not know it was being audited and not voted on normally,
the test was conducted in large part by real voters who volunteered
to help, and so, the audit really does both build voter confidence
and serve as a decent test of the honesty of the election.

                                Doug Jones
                                jones@cs.uiowa.edu