Re: Posting Source Code

From: Alan Dechert <adechert_at_earthlink_dot_net>
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 14:58:57 CDT

In other words, I have been promoting this as the UC voting project proposal
in one form or another since April of 2001. No one -- absolutely no one --
has expressed any objection about calling this the University of California
voting system project proposal. In fact, everyone I know in the UC system
seems hopeful that we will find a way to get funding for it. Ruzena Bajcsy
could have been more supportive but her basic reasons for not supporting us
did not have to do with the idea itself, rather, she did not think that
CITRIS would support any "social science" projects and that the computer
programming part of our project was "too applied" to be of interest to
CITRIS reseachers.

> I'm just putting out for the record that I am not the conduit for
> providing the permission to use the name University of California,
> since I don't represent that I have the right to do so, even as an
> employee of UCSC.

No problem.

> I'm glad for all the work you've done over the
> years and continue to do. I'm happy to be playing my small role in
> all this, being a catalyst for getting something built and providing
> some degree to guidance.

Excellent.

Alan

> Thanks.
>
> Arthur
>
> At 11:54 AM -0700 7/25/03, Alan Dechert wrote:
> >Listen, Arthur. This project has a long history before you joined. I
> >represented the UC Berkeley project proposal for improving voting systems
in
> >California in NUMEROUS meetings in the state capital building with
numerous
> >public officials. These meetings include quite a few State legislators.
> >Two meetings were with top staff in the governor's office.
> >
> >In addition, I have met with Kevin Shelley's staff (before he became SOS)
> >several times (2001-2002). On May 16 of this year, I met with John
> >Mott-Smith, chief of the elections division. He had requested that I
give
> >him a letter to justify the study which I co-authored 2.5 yrs earlier
with
> >Henry Brady, Director of the Survey Research Center. Here's the first
page
> >of the proposal:
> >
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~adechert/src_proposal.html
> >
> >This letter from Senator Perata to UCB Chancellor Berdahl was written on
my
> >request:
> >
> >http://home.earthlink.net/~adechert/perata3.jpg
> >
> >On Nov 16 of 2001, Prof Brady and I met with Ruzena Bajcsy, the Head of
> >CITRIS, along with Jim Demmel CITRIS Chief Scientist. Also in attendance
> >were Vice Chancellor Beth Burnside and Associate Vice Chancellor Bob
Price.