Re: about the Python code

From: Alan Dechert <adechert_at_earthlink_dot_net>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 15:27:49 CDT

> (I spent several years covering the bar-code printer and reader
> industry off and on.)

Good. Tell us about it.

> > About 500 ballots are normally handled at a precinct on
> > Election Day. We'd expect to have around 7-8 machines at
> > each. Normally, one machine is going to handle less than 100
> > ballots. Each machine would be able to produce 1000 unique
> > numbers with the scheme I've described (i.e., we append the
> > one digit machine number to a 3 digit random number). If it
>
> Why random numbers?

Because if they were sequential, it would compromise the secret ballot.
When the polls close, the table of ballot images will be sorted on ballot
number and written to the CD. This means that no one can look at the list
and figure out how someone voted by looking at the order.

Alan