Re: about the Python code

From: Matt Shomphe <mshomphe_at_comcast_dot_net>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 14:33:46 CDT

This should be a PC/Web/paper-based system. All three components should
have the same appearance. Both web & pc components should print paper
forms (again, identical in appearance). The printed ballot should fit on
one side of a normal 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. The web & pc components
have two general functions: (1) print & (2) larger type. "Larger type"
will result in a multipage ballot (with, I assume, a "Next" function). The
PC version will be implemented in Python. The web version will be
implemented in something -- maybe Python, maybe PHP. Anything I'm missing?

There's a lot of discussion about (what appears to me to be) esoterica:
e.g., codes assigned to the ballots. From the code development point of
view, I'm not seeing this as a huge issue. Whatever implementation is
decided on can (probably) just be plugged-in to the code. From the design
point-of-view, I want to make this as robust and extensible as possible.
Matteo's idea of separating out the "interface data" from the interface
itself will make this a very flexible system. Just tell us what's needed
and we'll try to build it ;-)

FWIW, for generating random numbers, this is what Python's new (2.3)
"random" module says:
General notes on the underlying Mersenne Twister core generator:

* The period is 2**19937-1.
* It is one of the most extensively tested generators in existence
* Without a direct way to compute N steps forward, the
   semantics of jumpahead(n) are weakened to simply jump
   to another distant state and rely on the large period
   to avoid overlapping sequences.
* The random() method is implemented in C, executes in
   a single Python step, and is, therefore, threadsafe.

In other news, this is an article that I thought might be of interest to
the group...
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/24/153258&mode=nested&tid=103&tid=126&tid=128&tid=99

m@