Re: about the Python code

From: Arthur Keller <arthur_at_kellers_dot_org>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 12:22:28 CDT

States are two letter codes. Counties within California use a 3
letter code. Since Texas has about 500 counties, I think we should
stick with such a convention.

Precinct is a 4 digit code.

Perhaps we should add a "ballot type" to the ballot number in case
there are multiple ballot types at an election. There are multiple
ballot types at a primary election, and we need to handle that. (We
also need a way to ensure that the voter votes only with the correct
ballot type. What's our solution to that problem?)

Then date in the form YYYYMMDD.

Then a five digit ballot number.

I think there should then be a ballot sequence number (one
digit/character). If someone makes a mistake and prints another
ballot, then use the same ballot number with an incremented ballot
sequence number. It's a good check that the spoiled ballot won't be
used (since it matches in ballot number except for the
ballot sequence number on the spoiled ballot is smaller). Does
someone who spoils a ballot have to go back to the same PC they
originally voted on?

Arthur

At 9:12 AM -0700 7/24/03, Alan Dechert wrote:
>We don't have a specific format worked out but I can give you some
>clues. The text should all be in a fixed width (non-proportional)
>font that is easy to read for humans and scanners.
>
>The printout will have a title that goes something like this:
>
>OFFICIAL BALLOT
>GENERAL ELECTION
>SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA, PRECINCT 2216
>NOVEMBER 7, 2000
>
>The ballot number will be printed in each corner. On the bottom, I
>think we want the ballot number printed upside down (this is so the
>ballot number can be easily read with the ballot face down by
>lifting any corner).
>
>The ballot number will be a random number from a range of 1000
>numbers. I don't know how you get a random number in python but
>here's what I've done in dBASE.
>
>MyNumber = "1"+substr(str(rand(),12,3),10,3)
>
>Incidentally, these four digits will be combined with state,
>county, precinct, and date to make a unique key.
>
>The printout will list the selections made
>
>PRESIDENT RACHEL CARSON
>VICE PRESIDENT JOHN MUIR
>
>STATE SENATE ROBERT INGERSOLL
>
>etc.
>
>There will be a bar code on the long edge (duplicate on left and
>right edge). I will have more to say about the bar code in another
>message.
>
>The print button should be at the end of the on screen ballot image
>like I have here.
><http://home.earthlink.net/~adechert/ballot-mockup3.gif>http://home.earthlink.net/~adechert/ballot-mockup3.gif
>
>Alan

- --
-
Arthur M. Keller, Ph.D., 3881 Corina Way, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4507
tel +1(650)424-0202, fax +1(650)424-0424