Re[2]: regarding vote.py

From: Matteo Giacomazzi <giacomazzi_at_programmazione_dot_it>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 11:18:37 CDT

MS> (1) There are two user interface components: (i) the PC interface
MS> and (ii) the Web interface

MS> (2) There is a common output format from both (i) and (ii).

Agreed, but let's extend it to the input too!
Let's write the "interface data" in XML, and let's write in Python
something that parses this XML and "draw" the interface.
This way, the very same task may be done, e.g. in PHP, for the web
part. The Python part will create an interface in
Tkinter/wxPython/pyGTK/pyGame or wathever, the PHP part will create
the same interface using HTML and CSS.

XML -> [software] -> Interface -> [user interaction] -> XML -> Ballot

[snip]

MS> This is human-readable, but also *very* easily parse-able by a
MS> machine (pretty much every computer language has an XML parser).
MS> We'd get the added benefit of separating the output of the program
MS> from the program itself. So if someone didn't have Python
MS> available, they could use Java to parse the data.

We could even write down some XSLT that, given a pre-ballot, can
"translate" it in an HTML page or in a PDF document.
XSLT software is very common, and everybody can achieve a nice result.

- --
Regards,
  Matteo
  mailto:giacomazzi@programmazione.it