New Holt Bill (was Fwd: [uscv-election] Vote "YES" for Federal Election Reform)

From: Edward Cherlin <echerlin_at_gmail_dot_com>
Date: Sat Mar 28 2009 - 00:57:11 CDT

What do we think of this new version of the Holt bill?

"Voter Confidence & Increased Accessibility Act of 2009"

The text of a draft is at

http://electionmathematics.org/em-legislation/2009-federal/HOLT_VOTERCONFIDENCE_FINAL_xml.pdf

I have read through it quickly, and I see both good and not-so-good in it.

The requirement of a voter-verified paper ballot is to the good.

The bill requires ballot-marking machines by 2016, but the voter will
continue to have the choice of marking a ballot by hand. This imposes
significant costs for a useless "feature".

The bill as drafted does _NOT_ always require manual counting, but
permits optical scan as an alternative. I haven't figured out when.

Mandatory hand counting is not an effective audit procedure, in the
sense of looking for discrepancies between records. I will be
interested to see whether NIST can certify better procedures against
stiff political opposition. Like the way the FDA said, "Sure, no
problem certifying the safety of re-importing US drugs from
Canada."--NOT

Given the actions of the Coleman campaign in MN, I think the private
right of action will turn into a dumpster of worms.

The conflict of interest provisions try to deal with the inherent
conflict for testing companies dependent on keeping the good will of
manufacturers by passing their products, by having the Commission
select testing laboratories. That would be an improvement, but I can't
tell whether it is good enough.

Ah, legalese: blank pre-printed paper ballot

NIST has to certify that statistical audit methods will give the right
answer 95% of the time. That should be at least 99%. It's not that
much more work. Certainly not for computers.

Anyway, no deal-breakers yet, but I'll be watching Private Right of Action.