Re: Kentucky officials arrested for vote fraud

From: Edward Cherlin <echerlin_at_gmail_dot_com>
Date: Sun Mar 22 2009 - 17:22:12 CDT

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Alan Dechert <dechert@gmail.com> wrote:
> also discussed on Slashdot ...
> http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/20/1322210
>
> http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10037216&nav=menu203_2
>
> Several Clay County Officials Arrested On Federal Charges

+1

for justice and good government, although they enjoy the presumption
of innocence until guilt is proven. Only the Feds have a reasonable
chance to break through when the judge puts the fix in. State AGs have
shown a marked inability to tackle these cases. Auditability won't
help without accountability, as Arthur Anderson demonstrated with
great clarity when it went under.

Now, about, let's see...FL, OH, GA, IL...Russia, Zimbabwe...

> [...]
>

> - Clay County Circuit Court Judge Russell Cletus Maricle, 65, and school
> superintendent Douglas C. Adams, 57, allegedly used their status in the
> county to influence the appointment of corrupt members to the Clay County
> Board of Election Officials and caused election officers to commit acts of
> extortion, mail fraud, and bribery. Maricle also allegedly instructed a
> witness to testify falsely before a federal grand jury in Lexington.
>
> - Clay County Clerk, Freddy Thompson, 45, allegedly provided money to
> election officers to be distributed by the officers to buy votes and he also
> instructed officers how to change votes at the voting machine. The
> indictment also accused Thompson of a false testimony before a grand jury in
> Lexington.
>
> - Election officer William E. Stivers, 56, allegedly marked votes or issued
> tickets to voters who had sold their votes and changed votes at the voting
> machine. Stivers also allegedly instructed a witness to testify falsely
> before a federal grand jury.
>
> - Paul E. Bishop, 60, allegedly marked voters or issued tickets to voters
> who sold their votes and he also hosted alleged meetings at his home where
> money was pooled together by candidates and distributed to election
> officers, including himself. He was also accused of instructing the officers
> how to change votes at the voting machine.
>
> - William B. Morris, 66, and Debra L. Morris, 49, distributed funds pooled
> by the members of the scheme in order to buy votes. The couple owned and
> operated a transportation sanitation company and was active in the political
> affairs of Clay County.
>
> A board of election officials consists of the county clerk, the sheriff, and
> two members appointed by the State Board of Elections, selected from a list
> of names submitted by the Republican and Democratic parties in the county.
> In addition, the board is required to hire election officers, which includes
> two judges, one clerk and one sheriff for each precinct in each election of
> every year in which a primary and general election is held.
>
> The investigation preceding the indictment was conducted by the FBI,
> Kentucky State Police, and Appalachia HIDTA. The indictment was presented to
> the grand jury by Assistant United States Attorneys Stephen C. Smith and Ken
> Taylor. The defendants' appearance before the United States District Court
> has not yet been set by the Court in London, Ky.
>
> If convicted, the defendants face a maximum prison sentence of 20 years.
> However, any sentence following conviction would be imposed by the court
> after consideration of the United States Sentencing Guidelines and the
> federal statute governing the imposition of sentences.

> By sending email to the OVC-discuss  list, you thereby agree to release the
> content of your posts to the Public Domain--with the exception of
> copyrighted material quoted according to fair use, including publicly

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)