Re: German Constitutional Court : No To Voting Machines

From: Matthew J. Harmon <matthew_dot_harmon_at_qed_dot_org>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 12:54:56 CST

Brian Fox wrote:
>> "Der Einsatz von Abstimmcomputern bei der Bundestagswahl warlaut
>> Verfassungsgericht grundgesetzwidrig - die bisherigen Maschinen sind
>> einfach zu unsicher."
>>

> "The use of voting computers in Government elections is (currently)
> disallowed, according to fundamental Constitutional law - the existing
> machines are simply to unsafe."
>
> brian

To clarify:

"The use of voting machines during the general election [in 2005] was
unconstitutional according to the Supreme Court ["Verfassungsgericht"] -
the existing machines simply are too unsafe"

I have a native translator handy who clarified that the use of election
machines for the general election in 2005 was deemed to be
unconstitutional; the election results are not in question but the
courts stated that the machines are unsafe.

Matthew.