Re: E-Vote: Vote Center Concept Proposed for Indiana

From: Bev Harris <bev_at_blackboxvoting_dot_org>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2008 - 17:08:09 CDT

> The concept strikes me as quite similar to the early-voting centers
> we've been using successfully for many years in Travis County, Texas

"Using successfully" is a meaningless term. What is successful? The
participation route? The cost? The voter satisfaction survey? The security?

> the same fashion, and voter privacy is the same, so the precinct
> polling places have no security advantage that I can see.

The advantage of election day voting at polling places is that chain of custody
is less complicated. Any time there is a storage phase, as there is with early
voting and absentee voting, the window of time where chain of custody is
critical increases.

> such a bill", but offers no specific fraud that "this" could refer

Cheat peeks. Alteration of votes during storage phases. Centralization of
custody and counting, which allows more votes to be corrupted at once.

Bev Harris
Founder - Black Box Voting
http://www.blackboxvoting.org

* * * * *

Government is the servant of the people, and not the master of them. The
people, in delegating authority, do not give their public servants the right
to decide what is good for the people to know and what is not good for them to
know. We insist on remaining informed so that we may retain control over the
instruments of government we have created.

Black Box Voting is a nonpartisan, nonprofit 501c(3) elections watchdog group
funded entirely by citizen donations.
http://www.blackboxvoting.org/donate.html
Black Box Voting
330 SW 43rd St Suite K