Common products feature pre-installed viruses

From: Ronald Crane <voting_at_lastland_dot_net>
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 21:06:39 CDT
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080314/ap_on_hi_te/factory_installed_viruses;_ylt=AiJvC.PigeaIcLy4ID3aVEZU.3QA

>From iPods to navigation systems, some of today's hottest gadgets are landing on store shelves with some unwanted extras from the factory — pre-installed viruses that steal passwords, open doors for hackers and make computers spew spam.

So far, the virus problem appears to come from lax quality control — perhaps a careless worker plugging an infected music player into a factory computer used for testing — rather than organized sabotage by hackers or the Chinese factories.

The recent infections may be accidental, but security experts say they point out an avenue of attack that could be exploited by hackers.

"We'll probably see a steady increase over time," said Zulfikar Ramzan, a computer security researcher at Symantec Corp. "The hackers are still in a bit of a testing period — they're trying to figure out if it's really worth it."....