Re: [Bytesfree-discuss] Update: Importing Data into Voter Info Project

From: Edward Cherlin <echerlin_at_gmail_dot_com>
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 16:45:38 CST

I would like to include some other people in this discussion who are
interested in aggregating data on voting, the question of impeachment,
and international development. Since not everyone is on the same
mailing lists, I will have to copy messages between some of you.

Does anybody know of a mailing list for discussing this kind of data
gathering, apart from the specific issues to be tracked? Is anybody
interested in starting one?

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 1:52 PM, John Mark Walker <johnmark@johnmark.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> One of the things I've wanted to help put together for the wiki -
> bytesfree.org/wiki - is a voter information project.

Similarly for SVIC and for organizations working on voting system problems.

> So far, I've
> copied-and-pasted - by hand! - some stuff I found on CA secretary of
> state's cal-access site. Very slow going, as you can imagine, due to the
> lack of structured data feeds. As it is, I managed to get some stuff up
> on the site:
> http://www.bytesfree.org/wiki/index.php/Voter_Information_Project
>

> However, Ilan recently made a discovery of http://dapper.net/
>
> And with that, I've been able to import web pages of unstructured data
> and then via dapper's transforms, make nice RSS feeds. See these
> examples:
>
> http://www.dapper.net/services/mpaa_pac_contribs_cal
> http://www.dapper.net/services/msft_pac_contribs_cal
> http://www.dapper.net/services/riaa_pac_contribs_cal
>

> The idea is to trace each officeholder and candidate to the groups that
> support them.

SVIC wants to do the same thing at http://impeach.wikia.org, which is
about to launch.

> Now the trick is to take these feeds and be able to import
> the data into a wiki or some other web content engine such that we can
> then organize it for the voter info project. This is not exactly easy, but
> it's much less daunting that what I was doing before.

Exactly what I was thinking of doing.

> Ilan is taking a look at DekiWiki. If any of you have tips on how to go
> about this, it would be very welcome.
>
> Also, for those of you who want to contribute to the blog, feel free to
> start an account, and I'll give you privs:
> http://www.bytesfree.org/bfblog/
>
> I'm thinking of having the blog fire off each post to this discussion
> list.

Just so.

> -JM

Edward Cherlin