Re: Deb Bowen's Test Plans

From: Richard C. Johnson <dick_at_iwwco_dot_com>
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 09:05:06 CDT

The plans in California to test voting systems at public expense are likely a good thing. The ITA test system is both badly broken and a substantial barrier to new companies in the voting systems market.

The barriers Alan mentioned in a previous email to entry in the voting machine market are quite substantial. One would estimate the expense of ITA certification for a single release of code at from $250,000 to $500,000. That is for a single version of the code. Make some changes for another customer and back to get re-certified. The point is not that certification should cease; quite the contrary. It is that the public can receive the benefit from this testing and the public should pay for it directly. Then, new players do not have the impossible barriers to entering the market. Old players do not have a conflict of interest in being both the test paymaster and the owner of what is tested. ITAs hired by vendors are inevitably subject to conflict of interest, and the tests are consider proprietary and secret. So are the test results.

Does the public save because the vendors pay for testing? Not at all. Vendors simply charge more to cover the cost, and the relative lack of competition helps them add even more to prices. Public finance of testing can be done in a series, with a certain level of performance necessary to rise above each level to the next.

This will wash out the least suitable machines at an early and less expensive step and will involve spending substantial public funds only on the systems that can survive the open, published requirements for each level. And...the tests and the test results should BOTH be made public. No system should be considered that lacks the ability to provide security in spite of such public disclosure of qualifying tests and their results.

-- Dick

Alan Dechert <dechert@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think anyone responded so far to this ...

I want to add a couple of things.

Rather than "permit" open source implementations, I would like something a
bit stronger. At least, let's "encourage" open source implementations.

Another things we should state here -- perhaps as a corollary, but it needs
to be said.

We need actions that remove financial, legal, and regulatory barriers to
open source implementations of this open e-voting standard.

Alan D.