Re: Military voting

From: Lillie Coney <coney_at_epic_dot_org>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 16:09:18 CDT

>What is NASS?

National Association of Secretaries of States
http://www.nass.org/

The organization of election officials is
the National Association of State Elections Directors
http://www.nased.org/

>Nancy Tobi wrote:
>
>>There is a group I encountered at the NASS conference, which I
>>think is this one:
>><http://www.aaro.org/>http://www.aaro.org/
>>
>>What Holt does is pre-empt states rights to refuse to accept faxed
>>ballots. My understanding is that the Armed Services Ctte
>>overstepped their bounds a few years back and inserted electronic
>>ballots into a military bill. States like my own, NH, may right now
>>refuse to accept electronic ballots, which we do because we believe
>>it violates the voter's privacy. Holt makes acceptance of
>>electronic ballots mandatory - superceding states' rights on this
>>issue (as on many others, of course).
>>
>>I think the organization above will provide you with answers. The
>>people I encountered at NASS were livid about this provision in
>>Holt. If you don't get the answers let me know and I will see if I
>>can find the business card from the woman I met.
>>
>>Nancy
>>
>>On 3/28/07, Michelle Gabriel <<mailto:mwg@jmbaai.com>mwg@jmbaai.com> wrote:
>>
>>Can someone point me to some websites/studies about the best, most
>>secure method for military voting? I understand there isa provision in
>>the Holt Bill about military and overseas voting that some have
>>objections to. What is the best way to do this?
>>If I could get some info on this in the next 24 hours it would be much
>>appreciated.
>>Could you please pass this request on to any other lists you have that
>>might have this information?
>>Thanks,
>>Michelle
>>

>>--
>>
>>Nancy Tobi, Chair
>>NH Fair Elections Committee
>>Tel: 603.315.4500

Lillie Coney
Associate Director
Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
Coordinator, National Committee for Voting Integrity (NCVI)
1718 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20009
(p) 202-483-1140 x 111
(f) 202-483-1248