Re: Military voting

From: Greg Christopher <stork_at_electronify_dot_com>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 05:49:35 CDT

On Mar 28, 2007, at 8:09 PM, Barbara Simons wrote:

> There is no secure way to vote via the internet these days, because
> the
> internet itself is so insecure.

I do not agree with this statement. Because one system assessed had
security issues does not mean that a secure system can not be
implemented over the internet. However, it is much more difficult to
do correctly and has many more attack vectors. There are issues with
the trust level of the machines acting as clients (these need to be
as secure as a voting machine in a voting kiosk) as well as how the
web application is deployed and the security of the web software. But
saying there is no secure way is not a valid statement.

Taking the originally question more generally, it simply asks what is
the most secure way. If it's having private ryan take it back
overseas in a speed boat than that is the most secure way.

Of course paper can be tampered with too. How is the authenticity of
a paper ballot guaranteed in such a situation? Back here you have
people from multiple parties involved with the ballot booths and
everyone keeps an eye on each other. In a military situation all that
breaks down, secrecy is part of their environment and that could work
against guaranteeing the correct transmission of the votes.

In fact, I'd be surprised if a web application was not the MOST
secure way of making sure military votes are not safely transmitted
to the states. The biggest threat would be that someone tampered
with the web browser on the sending end and there are some simple
ways to make sure that your vote got counted as intended, such as
being able to connect and double check from a different terminal.
While that may be true, I am sure that system is not SERVE.

Greg