Re: OVF Cited in Diebold Election Systems List of Woes

From: charlie strauss <cems_at_earthlink_dot_net>
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 18:08:19 CST

Lovely machines Alan. You mean the new Windows based Diebold ATMs like this one:

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=62

or these:
http://www.securityfocus.com/news/7517

Note that the Atm network got the internet worm even though the ATMS were theoretically NEVER connected to the internet. Best guess is their local net was contaminated by an infected laptop or, worse, their VPN had an intrusion.

Good news is that ATM transactions are inherently depositor verifiable.