A Government-Ensconced Cartel?

From: Alan Dechert <dechert_at_gmail_dot_com>
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 19:35:26 CST

I think we can say a cartel exists when an industry in dominated by a small
number of companies, whose favored position is buttressed by any variety of
means, formal or informal, governmental or nongovernmental.

In that a cartel may limit competition and keep innovative newcomers out,
any particular cartel may be a bad thing for a free society.

Here's something I'd like to know:

Government-Ensconced Cartel
---------------------------------------
To what extent do you believe this phrase describes the voting system
industry?

a) not at all

b) kinda yes, kinda no

c) Yes

If you say a or b, perhaps you could explain why.

If you say "yes"
----------------------------
If you agree that the voting system industry is a government-ensconced
cartel, is this a good thing or bad?

What mechanisms keep the cartel ensconced? Certification process?

Are there any formal organizations used by the cartel?

To what extent did HAVA re-inforce the cartel?

To what extent would HOLT 811 and/or other legislation favor or strengthen
the cartel?

Could open source be a cartel buster? Could it be that by decoupling the
technology from the service provider we'd get more and better competition?

Could a cartel be justified for the sake of standard setting? Or are there
other possibly better ways to get standards.