Re: San Francisco debate heating up

From: Brent Turner <brent_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 10:16:33 CST

Dick - Theresa: Certainly rapport is a positive when possible, but should
never be considered a make or break. In San Mateo County, CA a splinter was
created between the aggressive activists and the passive activists. The
passive group wanted to honor the officials while pressing lightly. The
aggressive group ( headed by you know who ) wanted to assume the officials
as corrupt and incompetent while hitting them with every bit of ammo. In
the end the passive agenda infected the group, and the activists were
slaughtered by a huge Harti nterCivic contract. The people wanting the
group to go easy than all disappeared. Many of them represented nationally
known groups.

In SF- The officials are more sophisticated, but must be similarly
pressed and held accountable. This style has tendered better results so far.
I know civility is foundational, but we must never let the officials
intimidate us into submission. Setting a tone with them is appropriate. .
that being said, certainly our techno's shouldn't have to get in the dirty
mix- They should utilize the scrappy activists ( like me ) while keeping
the high ground - Brent Turner

  _____