Re: San Francisco debate heating up

From: Douglas W. Jones <jones_at_cs_dot_uiowa_dot_edu>
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 08:06:17 CST

On Mar 2, 2007, at 5:35 AM, Teresa Hommel wrote:

> Here in NY we are sending letters of support to our State
> Board of Elections which is the first in the nation to
> refuse to certify machines that don't pass their tests,

Uh, beg pardon, but while I was on the board of examiners here
in Iowa, we refused to certify several voting systems that had
been through the voluntary voting systems certification program
in the 1990's. I can recall at least two cases where we outright
flunked systems, and one where we gave a conditional approval,
but where the vendor never satisfied our conditions. The latter
case was the Global AccuTouch (later sold as the Diebold
Accuvote TS) when it first came up for certification
a decade ago.

                Doug Jones
                jones@cs.uiowa.edu