Re: San Francisco debate heating up

From: Teresa Hommel <tahommel_at_earthlink_dot_net>
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 05:35:20 CST

If you want your officials to take a risk, support them.

Here in NY we are sending letters of support to our State Board of Elections which
is the first in the nation to refuse to certify machines that don't pass their tests,
and the first in the nation to professionally oversee the work of CIBER. As a
result, they have not certified any electronic voting machines yet.

Meanwhile politicians such as Mayor Bloomberg of NYC has criticised them for
taking so long to certify new equipment.

Our line to Bloomberg is, "If the machines don't work, do we have to buy them
and use them anyway?"

Our line to the State Board is "Please continue to use strict standards and to
oversee the work of our certifying laboratory, to protect our future election integrity."

When officials take a risk, such as our State Board which is doing a good job of
evaluating the new machines, it helps if they can show a carton a letters from
citizens that support their good work, and say "The public wants a proper job,
not a quick one."

Teresa Hommel