Re: A tiny amount of money( was: re: Slashdot and Newsforge)

From: Richard C. Johnson <dick_at_iwwco_dot_com>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 16:45:33 CST

Check out how the Vote-PAD actually works. Blindfold yourself and see if you think you could use it. Yes, it is paper. No, it is not necessarily a good solution for all of the vision impaired voters. At least, so it seemed to me.

  -- Dick

Ron Crane <voting@lastland.net> wrote:
  And for a large majority of the disabled (those with vision impairments
or some motion impairments), there's the Vote-PAD
(http://www.vote-pad.us), a noncomputerized device that helps voters
fill out plain paper ballots.

As for requiring publicly-reviewed, publicly-checked, etc., source for
tabulators, plus Nevada Gaming Control Board-style random and directed
inspections, great. But it's even more important to conduct sampling
hand recounts in a randomly-selected, statistically-significant set of
precincts. These have the added benefit of being amenable to effective
supervision by much of the general public, even that large portion that
knows nothing about computers.

-R