A tiny amount of money( was: re: Slashdot and Newsforge)

From: Fred McLain <mclain_at_zipcon_dot_net>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 20:42:26 CST

In truth, to meet HAVA requirements all we need is a system off to the
side that impaired people can use. This is what New Mexico is doing.
There's nothing to stop most folks from using pen and paper to vote.
Even if it is (as it is now) a very corrupt e-vote system it won't
influence the outcome of the elections if most people use plain paper
ballots. What we really need to open source are the counting systems,
not the voting stations.

Just my 2 cents.

        -Fred-

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 09:55 +0100, Jan Karrman wrote:
> Hardware: OSS Election Systems Desired, but Not Ready
>
> An anonymous reader writes "Even though many American voters are ready
> for open source systems at the polls, Newsforge (a Slashdot sister
> site) has an interesting story about why open source may not be ready
> for the polls. From the article: 'The only open source e-voting effort
> that Rubin [an e-voting expert] noted was the Open Voting Consortium
> (OVC). "I don't agree with everything they are doing, but they are all
> about transparency and open source," Rubin said. OVC President and CEO
> Alan Dechert says it would take a large investment of time and money
> to provide an alternative to traditional e-voting systems vendors, but
> he says an effort known as Open Voting Solutions (OVS) is looking to
> do just that.'"
>

> http://slashdot.org/index.pl?issue=20060306
> http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/02/28/1648218&tid=136&tid=132
>
> /Jan

Alice's Evidence
`It's a pun!' the King added in an offended tone, and everybody laughed, `Let
the jury consider their verdict,' the King said, for about the twentieth time
that day.
`No, no!' said the Queen. `Sentence first--verdict afterwards.'
`Stuff and nonsense!' said Alice loudly. `The idea of having the sentence
first!'
`Hold your tongue!' said the Queen, turning purple.
`I won't!' said Alice.
`Off with her head!' the Queen shouted at the top of her voice. Nobody moved.
`Who cares for you?' said Alice, (she had grown to her full size by this time.)
`You're nothing but a pack of cards!'
~ Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland