Re: minority disenfranchisement via machine?

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall_at_gmail_dot_com>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 14:33:43 CST

Here's a smattering in reverse-chronological order... there might be
more in their references. See:

David Kimball, Assessing Voting Methods in 2002, July (2004),
available at: <http://www.umsl.edu/~kimballd/dkmpsa2.pdf>.

Michael Tomz and Robert P. Van Houweling, How Does Voting Equipment
Affect the Racial Gap in Voided Ballots? 47 Am. J. of Pol. Sci. 46
(2003), available at <http://www.stanford.edu/~tomz/pubs/ajps03.pdf>.

Michael C. Herron, and Jasjeet S. Sekhon, Black Candidates and Black
Voters: Assessing the Impact of Candidate Race on Uncounted Vote
Rates, Presented at the annual meeting of the Midwest Political
Science Association, Chicago (2002).

James M. Vanderleeuw, and Richard Engstrom, Race, Referendums, and
Roll-Off, Journal of Politics 49:1081-1092 (1987).

Richard L. Engstrom, and Victoria M. Caridas, Voting for Judges: Race
and Roll-Off in Judicial Elections, In William Crotty, ed., Political
Participation and American Democracy, Westport, CT: Greenwood (1991).

On 3/8/06, Stephanie Frank Singer <sfsinger@campaignscientific.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>
> If anyone has any leads on data indicating that voting machines could
> be used to disenfranchise minority voters disproportionately, please
> send them to Josh Mitteldorf and me. We already know about Josh's
> paper on the New Mexico correlations from 2004 (where race and
> machine type are the strongest correlates for high undervote
> percentages).
>
> The purpose is to produce some materials for raising the
> consciousness of the many powerful, well-connected and well-funded
> people who work through traditional means to decrease minority
> disenfranchisement.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephanie

Joseph Lorenzo Hall
PhD Student, UC Berkeley, School of Information
<http://josephhall.org/>
blog: <http://josephhall.org/nqb2/>
This email is written in [markdown] - an easily-readable and parseable
text format.
[markdown]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/