Re: An interesting article on policies and proceedures for voter registration. This is something we do need to work on as part of the ultimate certification package.

From: Keith Copenhagen <K_at_copetech_dot_com>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 18:24:11 CST

I think there are a couple of arguments to be made for
sunshine (read OVC involvement) in registration.

Coming from the proof of correctness side :
The voter rolls are assumed correct by the time they get to the voting
station.
Thus any self-checking data-integrity loops that can be done at the voting
station,
are limited by the gigo principle (Garbage-In/Garbage-Out).

 From the wholesale fraud perspective :
An election official could undetectably duplicate the voter rolls run
their own election
and substitute the contents of the ballot box. (This would be detected by
the web-of-trust
delegation-of-authority scheme I'm advocating).

 From the general paranoia foxhole :
As elctronic records become more & more used, the bang/buck opportunity for
fraud moves up stream to the database rolls. This is already seen in the
opportunistic felon
purge that marred the last couple Florida elections.

-Keith

Keith Copenhagen