Re: An interesting article on policies and proceedures for voter registration. This is something we do need to work on as part of the ultimate certification package.

From: Edmund R. Kennedy <ekennedyx_at_yahoo_dot_com>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 16:15:16 CST

Hello Keith:

You are right in so much as there is the political
folk myth and constant charge of fraudulent voting in
the case of felons, the dead and non-existent people
voting. A good voting registration system would go a
long way toward putting these hoary and usually false
charges to rest. Even with serious charges and
enormous effort in Washington State, State Republican
activists were not able to actually prove their
charges that there was enough election fraud to change
the final results as to who the governor was. I'd
prefer that the nation not go through this again so a
good voter registration system is important. What is
particularly significant here to me is that the main
issues had to do with whether the voters were
qualified and not whether the election system
accurately registerd their votes. Again, this brings
us back to the issue of what is more important to
prevent, wholesale versus retail fraud. In terms of
general public perception of open and proper voting
processes, retail fraud seems the most significant.
In terms of party activists and election officials,
wholesale fraud seems more of a concern. Any
thoughts?

Thanks, Ed Kennedy

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/needed_voter_rolls_clean_and_complete.php

> >> arthur@openvotingconsortium.org