Re: A cautionary note on open-source development

From: Arthur Keller <voting_at_kellers_dot_org>
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 14:20:08 CST

http://www.acm.org/technews/articles/2005-7/0316w.html#item10

"Open-Source Movement Now In Hands of Hired Guns"
  Investor's Business Daily (03/15/05) P. A4; Brown, Ken Spencer

  Corporate programmers have for the most part supplanted volunteer
programmers as developers of core open-source software. IBM committed
$1 billion to the development and promotion of the open-source Linux
operating system four years ago, and has since made over 500 software
patents and 30 software applications freely accessible to open-source
programmers. "As Linux goes mainstream, the market gets bigger and
the dollars available around the world grow, it becomes a great
business opportunity," notes Open Source Development Labs CEO Stuart
Cohen. Many companies are devoting their developers' time to the
improvement of Linux in the hopes of ensuring that the OS is
compatible with their hardware and software, while Cohen says some
firms are gambling that increasing demand for Linux will in turn
raise sales of related products. Corporate involvement benefits Linux
by enhancing the OS with industrial-grade features that volunteer
programmers would take years to develop. Linux creator Linus Torvalds
is not concerned about any company dominating the development of
Linux so that it gains a competitive advantage over rival Linux
firms, because open-source development follows a democratic model to
guarantee that only the best ideas prevail. In addition, improvements
to the software are available to anyone through Linux's open
licensing scheme. Andrew Morton, a chief deputy of Torvalds',
maintains that most programmers, even commercial ones, develop a
sense of loyalty to Linux that is stronger than corporate fealty.