Re: A cautionary note on open-source development

From: laird popkin <lairdp_at_gmail_dot_com>
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 09:44:12 CST

My instinct would be that it'll be easy for OVC to attract reviewers
-- any academic with any connection to voting issues would jump right
in, IMO. But getting people to build a certifiable system is (IMO)
more than can be done on a pure volunteer basis. But if we can pay a
core of developers to keep things rolling ahead, I would expect to see
lots of people building useful stuff around that core (e.g.
translations, adding features, etc.) similar to the way that the
Mozilla project as a core of paid developers with tons of volunteers
(and companies) making skins, plug-ins, etc.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:16:18 -0800, Arthur Keller <voting@kellers.org> wrote:
> Volunteer scrutiny is a lot easier to achieve than volunteer
> development. In fact, simply being open for scrutiny is itself
> somewhat of a check on the development process, independent of
> exactly how much scrutiny actually materializes.
>
> There is also the potential that such scrutiny will be provided by
> closed-source vendors who want to discredit the open source system,
> although they are more likely to disclose potential problems right
> before an election rather than early enough to fix before one. The
> potential for such a bombshell imposes quite a burden on the software
> development and testing process.
>
> Best regards,
> Arthur
>
> At 9:17 PM -0800 3/12/05, Ron Crane wrote:
> >Yes, strictly speaking. But proper public review of OVC's software
> >(and any hardware upon which it runs) will require volunteer
> >participation, so it's not entirely off the mark.
> >
> >-Ron
> >
> >On Mar 12, 2005, at 4:15 PM, Arthur Keller wrote:
> >
> >>Isn't that really a cautionary tale on *volunteer* development, not
> >>*open source* development?
> >>
> >>Best regards,
> >>Arthur

> --