Re: A cautionary note on open-source development

From: Arthur Keller <voting_at_kellers_dot_org>
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 02:16:18 CST

Volunteer scrutiny is a lot easier to achieve than volunteer
development. In fact, simply being open for scrutiny is itself
somewhat of a check on the development process, independent of
exactly how much scrutiny actually materializes.

There is also the potential that such scrutiny will be provided by
closed-source vendors who want to discredit the open source system,
although they are more likely to disclose potential problems right
before an election rather than early enough to fix before one. The
potential for such a bombshell imposes quite a burden on the software
development and testing process.

Best regards,
Arthur