Re: Open Voting Foundation

From: Edward Cherlin <cherlin_at_pacbell_dot_net>
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 14:59:35 CST

On Monday 28 February 2005 13:02, Alan Dechert wrote:

> Assuming the OVF is completely successful, it will probably
> not exist in 10 years. The OVC will continue but the OVF
> should not be needed once open voting takes hold.

Don't you believe it. That's like expecting the need for the ACLU
to go away. Now it could happen that the ACLU would eventually
take over the issue, and we could merge, but the idea that
politicians will stop trying to take advantage is untenable.

> Alan D.

http://www.freedomkeys.com/vigil.htm
Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become
a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given
liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he
break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the
punishment of his guilt." -- John Philpot Curran: Speech upon
the Right of Election, 1790. (Speeches. Dublin, 1808.) as quoted
in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations

"But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal
vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you
must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing. It
behooves you, therefore, to be watchful in your States as well
as in the Federal Government." -- Andrew Jackson, Farewell
Address, March 4, 1837

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." -- Wendell Phillips,
(1811-1884), abolitionist, orator and columnist for The
Liberator, in a speech before the Massachusetts Antislavery
Society in 1852, according to The Dictionary of Quotations
edited by Bergen Evans

“There is no safety for honest men except by believing all
possible evil of evil men.” -- Edmund Burke

--
Edward Cherlin
Generalist & activist--Linux, languages, literacy and more