[OT] The other Ron Crane

From: Edward Cherlin <cherlin_at_pacbell_dot_net>
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 14:18:55 CST

On Monday 28 February 2005 15:39, Ron Crane wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2005, at 2:54 PM, David Mertz wrote:

> > P.S. To Ron: Ed Kennedy pointed out to me that a Ron Crane
> > was important in the development of Ethernet; are you the
> > same person? I saw you mention elsewhere that you are a
> > lawyer. If both of those are you, let me say I am very
> > impressed. No slight meant, of course, if you're not the
> > Ethernet guy.
>
> I worked some years at DEC, but was not involved in Ethernet,
> and was unaware that I share a name with one of its
> developers. I worked on the design and development of VAX/SVS,
> a virtual-machine operating system intended to provide Orange
> Book A1-rated security for VAX/VMS and Ultrix. And yes, I
> plead guilty to the practice of law. But only in California.
> ;-)

http://www.finisar.com/frankscorner/20011101.php
Ron Crane...was a key technical contributor for 3Com from the
very beginning of Ethernet. All of today's Ethernet adapter
cards installed in the tens of millions of PCs throughout the
world are related to the first adapter cards built and tested by
Ron, who is still very well connected in the networking
industry.

> -Ron

Yes, there are a lot of collisions in the human namespace.

--
Edward Cherlin
Generalist & activist--Linux, languages, literacy and more