Re: Open Voting Foundation

From: Alan Dechert <dechert_at_gmail_dot_com>
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 21:08:16 CST

I think you've all got the idea. I'll try to expand a bit on this.

The general idea is to expand the capabilities of the overall
enterprise. OVC-OVF can do more together than one or the other could
do by itself.

Some ideas on that:

1) OVC is the durable organization -- designed to be around in
perpetuity: The need for maintenance and delivery of open voting
systems will be ongoing. The OVF is designed to help develop the
open voting system. This is a relatively temporary need.

2) Many foundations only give to 501(c)(3) organizations. So, OVF may
be able to attract funding from sources where OVC can't. Also, some
individuals will take into consideration tax deductibility in their
giving. So, OVF may also be able to get contributions from people in
higher tax brackets.

3) In this IBM slide on the "Evolution to an Open Standard," they say
"A company, individual or group of companies or individuals agree to
address issue." This describes part of OVC's role as I see it.
http://www.omidyar.net/group/openvoting/file/1.33.11096438331/get/open-standard.pdf

4) OVC can promote high-level marketing of open voting to the benefit
of its business partners, while OVF can't promote business interests
of members. OVC can establish, nurture, and develop long-term
relationships with businesses -- and charge them dues.

5) OVF will likely have a more narrow technical focus: R&D, Human
Factors testing, and various types of studies related to voting
procedures, systems and technology. Conducting studies is more of a
501(c)(3) type activity.

OVF could also be an OVC member -- preferably at the highest level
("Strategic").

--Alan D.