Access for hearing impaired

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 22:28:06 CST

"Warren Keuffel" <wkeuffel@xmission.com> wrote:
> This is quite obvious, so I am hopeful you have already addressed the
> problem -- but in the demo, you talk about headphones and having the
> ballot choices read back to you. Some people, like myself, would not be
> able to do this.

People in CA should definitely ignore my note for at least a day :-)
... except where I write:

Have a great time at the demo tomorrow, and wow all the audience (as
I'm sure you will)!

---
For non-CA people: It's slightly odd how people with kinda irrelevant
disabilities sometimes worry about the RII not assisting them.  I don't
know Keuffel's specific abilities; but for most hearing impaired or
deaf voters, the regular GUI interface is just as good for them as for
an average voter.  Obviously, there could be compound issues along with
deafness: motor impairments, language difficulties; sightedness;
etc.--we plan to provide accommodation for other classes of voters over
time (but even the demo should work for 90%+ of the disabled
population; and also, for example, for illiterate English speakers).