Re: Local interview

From: Eron Lloyd <elloyd_at_lancaster_dot_lib_dot_pa_dot_us>
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 14:43:04 CST

On Friday 26 March 2004 3:26 pm, David Mertz wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> > This is Barbara Boxer's bill. Of all three, Clinton's bill IMHO is the
> > worst.
> > A good comparison is located at
> > http://www.verifiedvoting.org/senate_bill_comparison.asp
> >
> > Good points, which would be especially important to emphasize when
> > doing
> > demonstrations. There are some other provisions in the proposed
> > legislation
> > that cause some concern, such as in this also in Boxer's bill:
> > 7(a)(2)(B)(iii): The manufacturer shall ensure that any software used
> > in
> > connection with the voting system is not transferred over the Internet.
>
> I don't think this is as bad as Eron worries. It's OK if we don't
> transfer THE SOFTWARE used in the voting system over the internet.
> What we transfer is pre-certification development versions. Ideally,
> the actual software is contained on our EVMix live-CD, and is
> physically carried around to polling places (and an MD5 sum is
> performed once it gets there).

The thing with policy language is that it needs to be as specific as possible
to prevent misinterpretation. As it is written, it would totally disqualify
the entire GNU tool chain, Linux, Python, and every other component used in
our system. I'm looking for language the proprietary vendors could point to
and use against us.

> I think the intent here is fairly reasonable. If the software update
> was posted on a web site for download by precincts, lots of things can
> go wrong in that process (though Boxer probably doesn't understand PGP
> keys and the like). I wouldn't read that clause as prohibiting
> collaborative development though.

Fair enough, but again, that's what it should say. With the rate they seem to
be trying to push these bills through (in time for Nov.), I still am
concerned about the ramifications on the OVC.

Eron

--
Eron Lloyd
Technology Coordinator