Re: Local interview

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 14:26:12 CST

On Mar 26, 2004, at 3:14 PM, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> This is Barbara Boxer's bill. Of all three, Clinton's bill IMHO is the
> worst.
> A good comparison is located at
> http://www.verifiedvoting.org/senate_bill_comparison.asp
>
> Good points, which would be especially important to emphasize when
> doing
> demonstrations. There are some other provisions in the proposed
> legislation
> that cause some concern, such as in this also in Boxer's bill:
> 7(a)(2)(B)(iii): The manufacturer shall ensure that any software used
> in
> connection with the voting system is not transferred over the Internet.

I don't think this is as bad as Eron worries. It's OK if we don't
transfer THE SOFTWARE used in the voting system over the internet.
What we transfer is pre-certification development versions. Ideally,
the actual software is contained on our EVMix live-CD, and is
physically carried around to polling places (and an MD5 sum is
performed once it gets there).

I think the intent here is fairly reasonable. If the software update
was posted on a web site for download by precincts, lots of things can
go wrong in that process (though Boxer probably doesn't understand PGP
keys and the like). I wouldn't read that clause as prohibiting
collaborative development though.

-
mertz@ | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net! All the
gnosis | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy
.cx | alliance...ideas have nothing to lose but their chains. Unite