Re: Open Voting Consortium Press Release

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 13:09:25 CST

On Mar 25, 2004, at 10:23 AM, Douglas W. Jones wrote:
> But, never shred a spoiled ballot.

You're right, Doug. I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole by writing
"shred the spoiled" ballot. My intention was just to dramatically
indicate a different "paper path" than dropping into the ballot box.
But my proposed PR statement should be more careful. I would suggest
revising my answer to include this replacement paragraph:

A: There are several narrowly technical problems with "ballot under
       glass" systems. For one thing, such a system will almost
       inevitably be more expensive than one like ours that can use
       commodity printers and paper stock. But voting is too important to
       be decided on cost, so that is an incidental issue. Along a
       similar line, a "ballot under glass" system has some extra
       mechanical problems with allowing rejection of incorrect ballots;
       some sort of mechanism for sending a spoiled ballot somewhere
       other than to the ballot-box is needed. Again, this adds cost and
       more points of physical failure.

I don't want to go too far off into the details of the motivations and
technology of "under glass" for the PR. But it comes up enough in the
reporting I've seen, that I feel it is important to make participants
clear that we have thought about the issues, and actually decided on a
better solution (rather than simply overlooking the issues/option).
But I try to keep it at a conversational tone, e.g. with paragraph
final remarks like:

     [...] Security experts are folks who get paid to think
     about even the most nefarious attacks on systems, and voting is
     important enough to merit such paranoia.

        [...] There is a lot you can do with fancy math.