Re: Open Voting Consortium Press Release

From: Arthur Keller <arthur_at_kellers_dot_org>
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 00:27:52 CST

At 12:58 AM -0500 3/25/04, David Mertz wrote:
>Arthur Keller <arthur@kellers.org> wrote:
>|Finally, what do the "ballot under glass" systems do if the printed
>|ballot is WRONG, possibly because the voter made a mistake? In our
>|system, you start over and print another one and submit that one
>|instead. (We really need a better solution to that problem, though.)
>
>I tried to answer this question with:
>
>|> Along a
>|> similar line, a "ballot under glass" system has some extra
>|> mechanical problems with allowing rejection of incorrect ballots;
>|> some sort of mechanism for sending a spoiled ballot to a shredder
>|> rather than to the ballot-box is needed. Again, this adds cost and
>|> more points of physical failure.
>
>A "send to shredder" button on the "ballot under glass" system is
>mechanically possible. Presumably, when pressed, the voter would be
>allowed to reconfigure the vote screen to indicate correct votes
>(perhaps a limited number of tries).
>
>Now if the paper simply won't come into correspondence with the
>touchscreen... that's a serious programming problem. But then, such an
>issue could equally well apply to OVC's design; so it's not relevant for
>the contrast.

The problem could be system error or voter error. We really need to
handle the voter error case.

I'm used to the situation where you are given voting stock, feed it
in and vote. If you spoil your ballot, you return it (they mark it
spoiled) and then you get a new one. What's the equivalent here?

How do you make sure someone doesn't print two ballots and put them
both in the same privacy sleeve?

Best regards,
Arthur

Arthur M. Keller, Ph.D., 3881 Corina Way, Palo Alto, CA  94303-4507
tel +1(650)424-0202, fax +1(650)424-0424