Re: Open Voting Consortium Press Release

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 23:58:58 CST

Arthur Keller <arthur@kellers.org> wrote:
|Finally, what do the "ballot under glass" systems do if the printed
|ballot is WRONG, possibly because the voter made a mistake? In our
|system, you start over and print another one and submit that one
|instead. (We really need a better solution to that problem, though.)

I tried to answer this question with:

|> Along a
|> similar line, a "ballot under glass" system has some extra
|> mechanical problems with allowing rejection of incorrect ballots;
|> some sort of mechanism for sending a spoiled ballot to a shredder
|> rather than to the ballot-box is needed. Again, this adds cost and
|> more points of physical failure.

A "send to shredder" button on the "ballot under glass" system is
mechanically possible. Presumably, when pressed, the voter would be
allowed to reconfigure the vote screen to indicate correct votes
(perhaps a limited number of tries).

Now if the paper simply won't come into correspondence with the
touchscreen... that's a serious programming problem. But then, such an
issue could equally well apply to OVC's design; so it's not relevant for
the contrast.