Non-federalized elections

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 16:34:25 CST

Eron made a comment to me off-list that I think was meant in just a
chatty way. But it has a very specific answer. It's not just a "funny
how things turned out, historically" thing. Many list members will be
aware of this, but some others might not (especially the non-USA
members), so I thought this might be worth forwarding:

Eron Lloyd <elloyd@lancaster.lib.pa.us> wrote
> While I was in line at the post office, I wondered why we have a
> federalized
> mail delivery system but not our election system (though many would
> like to
> see that privatized, too).

Article I, Section 8 of the US Constitution:

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power to ...

        To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among
        the several states, and with the Indian tribes;
        [...]

          To establish post offices and post roads;

No such authorization of the conduct of elections. And specifically:

        Amendment X
        The powers not delegated to the United States by the
        Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are
        reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.