Re: Draft Standards for VVPAT in California

From: charlie strauss <cems_at_earthlink_dot_net>
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 14:56:38 CST

The draft standard requires "A device that will allow a voter to view his/her paper ballot image while preventing the voter from directly handling the paper ballot copy. "

I've never understood this fixation on the voter not touching the ballot. There must be some rational but I've yet to hear one. I have read about people worried someone might leave the polling station with their ballot in hand. But we'll so what, they can if they are that goofy do that under the present system. What's the deal?

Answering my own question I'm going to guess that the problem is that they want the electronic totals to have primacy and the paper ballots only for re-counts or spot checks. It would thus get ugly when the two did not agree since it would make it look like electronic ballot box stuffing. This situation is less problematic when the paper has primacy. (OVC) But really in both cases there is some reconcilation to be done. So I still dont understand what the fixation is.

is there more to it?