Re: Business Line article.

From: Nathan L. Adams <adamsn79_at_bellsouth_dot_net>
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 13:43:39 CST

On Sunday 21 March 2004 02:02 pm, Alan Dechert wrote:
> Sort of a re-hash of the Wired article we were in JAN 21.
>
> http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2004/03/17/stories/2004031700030100.
>htm
>
> Actually, Ritchie's group isn't the
> first to develop an open-source voting
> system in the US. The credit for that
> goes to The Open Voting Consortium,
> led by Alan Dechert, a software test
> engineer and application developer.
> The consortium has been working since
> 2000 on a free software voting system
> that can run on the average personal
> computer.
>
> Alan D.

The very next paragraph reads:
-------------------------------------
However, Ritchie says he is confident that the Open Vote Foundation can create
its system at a much lower cost than private vendors, primarily because it is
using the services of volunteer programmers. The average cost of an e-voting
terminal in the US is $3,000.

Are we being protrayed simply as yet another private vendor?

The article also mentions that S. Richie is planning to develop a fork of
eVACS. We've thought of this, right? It makes perfect sense from an
engineering point of view, and is the main reason Richie's project shouldn't
be dismissed as "just one undergrad doomed to fail". University students have
been known to create very successful opensource projects
**cough**linux**cough** without teams of experts and piles of HAVA money.

Nathan