Possible questions at the demo

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 20:28:26 CST

Arthur Keller <arthur@kellers.org> wrote:
|I lot of people can't read something under glass. With my
|presbyopia, I can read best 9" from my face without my glasses.
|Plus what do the "under glass" people do if the ballot is WRONG?

OK. We don't need to go into that matter at this point (especially
since it's not like *I* even prefer Mercuri's system to OVC's).

FWIW, my understanding is that the "under glass systems would have a
"send to shredder" button next to the "send to ballot box" button. So I
don't think that issue is insolvable. The real disadvantage of the
Mercuri/TrueVote idea is the lack of an independent BVA station for
blind voters (or reading/visually-impared, etc).

Btw, Arthur, at the demo, I think you are the "go to" guy if any
reporters raise security/cryptography issues. I chatted with Alan on
the telephone about this tonight. My hunch is that these kind of
concerns probably won't come up: more likely ones about cost. And
"What's Free Software? Who are the OVC? Why do we need a paper trail?
(Importantly) Why isn't a paper receipt the same thing as a paper
ballot? And so on.

Moroever, on the security questions, we don't want to say we have final
answers decided. After all, that's why we have Amit and David Jefferson
(and other experts) to work on a Security Working Group. But if
questions do happen to stray in this direction, I think it is worth
pointing out that we have discussed (at some length) things like
watermarks to individualize ballots for polling places; and the relation
between ballot sequence and preserving anonymity; and the relative
virtues of private key and public key cryptography for barcode
signatures; and how (even partial) disclosures might enable vote
coersion or vote buying; and similar technical matters. I just don't
want some reporter to write that we have a pretty touch screen, but
haven't thought through the security any better than have the
proprietary vendors. We've done a heck of a lot more than have Diebold,
ESS, or Sequoia already--and we'll do more in the future.

Yours, David...

--
Dred Scott 1857; Santa Clara 1876; Plessy 1892; Korematsu 1944; Eldred 2003