Re: Re: [OVC-demo-team] DRAFT#2 -- PRESS RELEASE

From: <dr-jekyll_at_att_dot_net>
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 09:34:05 CST

This is superb. I hope it will be released soon. I'll contact people I know in Denton County, Texas as soon as we have something ready for official publivc release.

In Denton County, the Republican and Democratic Parties are solidly on-board with us. We have at least one newspaper that has publicly question paperless voting. I've been promoting this in the Republican Party and Jeff is doing the same in the Democratic Party. Too bad the County Elections Director and some of our elected officials are thrilled by anything Diebold says.

Kurt

At 11:58 AM -0800 3/19/04, Alan Dechert wrote:
>I took Arnie's and David's suggestions and made a few other edits. I
>changed Doug's "it's too easy to play tricks with" to "it's too easy to fool
>with" in the spirit of the day. I don't want to over-do it but another
>"fool" or two might be okay.
>
>The final version will be on OVC letterhead and include contacts and
>references.
>
>******
>GRANITE BAY, CALIFORNIA -- The Open Voting Consortium will demonstrate a
>version of its free election software on the 1st of April at 10:00 AM at the
>Santa Clara County government office building at 70 W. Hedding St., San
>Jose in room 157, located behind the Information Desk, as you walk
>into the front of the building's Main Entrance. The Open Voting
>Consortium intends to make free voting software
>available for use in public elections to begin a process founders hope will
>transform the voting system from a fraud-prone, blackbox, proprietary,
>expensive, unreliable system to a technically sound, accurate, secure,
>inexpensive, and open voting system.
>
>An international team of volunteer scientists and engineers developed the
>demonstration system. Jan Karrman of Sweden, a senior research engineer at
>Uppsala University said that the international role of the U.S. "makes it
>important outside the U.S. as well that fair elections are being held
>there." John-Paul Gignac of Canada wrote the software for the graphical user
>interface. Anand Pillai of Bangalore India, Eron Lloyd of Pennsylvania, and
>Dr. David Mertz of Massachusetts have been the other main software code
>contributors. Fred McLain, a noted computer security expert from
>Washington, has served as the lead developer over the past two months. "I'm
>proud of what this team has accomplished," said McLain. Laird Popkin of New
>York worked on the online version of the ballot printing system.
>
>"Voters should not be fooled into thinking their vote is secure with
>paperless electronic voting machines. We need a system like the Open Voting
>Consortium is developing that produces a paper ballot that voters can see,
>touch, and verify before placing in the ballot box," according to Dr. Arthur
>Keller, who teaches computer science at UC Santa Cruz and serves as
>Vice President of
>the Open Voting Consortium. Professor Douglas W. Jones, a University of
>Iowa computer scientist and often-quoted expert of voting technology,
>agrees: "It's too easy to fool with a purely electronic record. We need a
>physical token to represent the vote so that it can be checked by ordinary
>human beings. We also want a system where all aspects of the system are
>open to public inspection so we can be sure everything is above board." Dr.
>Jones is also the Chief Technology Officer <delete comma> and Vice
>President of the Open
>Voting Consortium.

We need a quote on the visually impaired interface and verification
system, particularly since the latter is on a different computer.

>"We are not in favor of having a public process run by private companies
>that want to keep everything a secret," says Alan Dechert, President of the
>Open Voting Consortium. "It was wise to commit serious funding to modernize
>the voting system. But it would be foolish to spend all the money on
>immature technology that will be obsolete in a few years. We advocate
>spending a small percentage of this money on a comprehensive scientific
>research and development project that will give us the best possible voting
>system." The Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA) earmarks nearly four
>billion dollars for voting modernization. Upwards of $1.5 billion has been
>appropriated for this fiscal year. "We are working with universities in
>several states to get this project launched. Iowa State University and the
>University of California are leading the way, with strong teams developing
>in Illinois and Nevada, so far."
>
>The Open Voting Consortium is a Nonprofit California Corporation dedicated
>to the development, maintenance, and delivery of open voting systems for use
>in public elections.

Arthur M. Keller, Ph.D., 3881 Corina Way, Palo Alto, CA  94303-4507
tel +1(650)424-0202, fax +1(650)424-0424