Re: RE: [OVC-demo-team] DRAFT -- PRESS RELEASE

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 13:46:27 CST

I agree with all of Arnold's language improvements, and have a couple
other suggestions:

(1) I think I should be called "Dr. David Mertz" or "David Mertz,
Ph.D."--not just as a matter of vanity, but also because more indicated
advanced degrees adds slightly to the weight of the release. Is anyone
else not so indicated also "Dr."?

(2)
> We need a system like the Open Voting
> Consortium is developing that produces a paper ballot that voters can
> see,
> touch, and verify before placing in the ballot box," according to Dr.
> Arthur
> Keller

I wonder if Arthur should include the "touch" part for this release.
This kinda gets us into a debate with the advocates of an "ballot under
glass" system which is peripheral to our main point. Certainly I agree
with doing it the way we do (as opposed to TrueVote of Mercuri's
ideas), but "see" and "verify" are much more important parts.

(3)
> Jones is also the Chief Technology Officer of the Open Voting
> Consortium and
> Vice President.

This is awkward structure. I think Doug's titles should be adjacent in
the sentence:

        Jones is also the Chief Technology Officer, and Vice President,
        of the Open Voting Consortium.

---
Dred Scott 1857; Santa Clara 1876; Plessy 1892;
Korematsu 1944; Eldred 2003