Re: Partisanship of election vendors and officials

From: Douglas W. Jones <jones_at_cs_dot_uiowa_dot_edu>
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 14:01:05 CST

On Mar 18, 2004, at 12:41 PM, Alan Dechert wrote:

>>> I want to state my opinion on this for the record. Partisanship
>>> should
>>> never be used in any debate over the merits or demerits of any voting
>>> system.
>> Amen!
> Glad you agree, Doug. Maybe we should include something about this in
> our
> Bylaws.

I don't know if it needs to be a bylaw, but it might fit
very well in the mission statement.

> It might be valuable to have something "official" to point to if we
> are attacked on this basis. Afterall, since some voting machine
> vendors
> have been attacked as "run by right-wingers," we may expect the OVC to
> be
> attacked at some point as "run by left-wingers" (true, AFAIK).

Right. There are folks out there who can't figure out
our motivation and are declaring that the opponents of DRE
voting are all a bunch of conspiracy theorists with ulterior
motives that I've never been able to figure out. Some of
these charges have left me feeling rather insulted.

> "It must be assumed that the people building the voting system and the
> people running the voting system all have strong partisan views.
> Mechanisms
> must be built into the voting system to neutralize these biases."

I don't mind that sentence, but I also like the first sentence
I quoted from you in the first place!

                Doug Jones
                jones@cs.uiowa.edu