Re: Partisanship of election vendors and officials

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 12:41:29 CST

Doug,

> On Mar 17, 2004, at 12:20 PM, Alan Dechert wrote:
>
> > I want to state my opinion on this for the record. Partisanship should
> > never be used in any debate over the merits or demerits of any voting
> > system. It must be assumed that the people building the system and the
> > people running the system all have strong partisan views.
>
> Amen!

Glad you agree, Doug. Maybe we should include something about this in our
Bylaws. It might be valuable to have something "official" to point to if we
are attacked on this basis. Afterall, since some voting machine vendors
have been attacked as "run by right-wingers," we may expect the OVC to be
attacked at some point as "run by left-wingers" (true, AFAIK). Some
wording like,

"It must be assumed that the people building the voting system and the
people running the voting system all have strong partisan views. Mechanisms
must be built into the voting system to neutralize these biases."

--Alan D.