Re: Diebold Commercials in Georgia

From: Alan Dechert <alan_at_openvotingconsortium_dot_org>
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 16:17:21 CST

Mason,

> I hope you are right. Has anyone done any research to find
> out how long the existing contracts have to run? ....

I think some contracts go for quite a few years. However, election code is
going to undergo drastic change in the coming few years. So, these
contracts will have to change too. A friend and business associate of mine
some years ago worked for a large firm where his job was to get out of
contracts. He spent all day every day breaking contracts. Contracts can
always be undone. Sometimes getting out of contracts costs some money, but
it's done all the time.

> How much are municipalities paying the vendors right now?

A lot. Whatever it is, it's several times the amount our system will cost.
I've also heard that the economic analysis that election boards often use
are based on vendor-supplied estimates of useful life of their units.

> I suspect that Diebold will ultimately try to lobby efforts like
> this into oblivion if there is any money to be made.

I welcome them to give it their best shot. However, once open source voting
software can be shown to work in the U.S., they're cooked. Their side of
the argument (i.e., "we need to hide what we're doing" ) is not going to
attract much support.

They will lose and look bad trying.