Re: Fwd: EFFector 17.8: FCC Faces Suit on Regulation of Digital Broadcast TV

From: David Mertz <voting-project_at_gnosis_dot_cx>
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 16:10:53 CST

Doug Jones <jones@cs.uiowa.edu> wrote:
> The argument from the Maryland Secretary of State using the
> recent primary as grounds to argue that their security is
> excellent is like me arguing that, because my car was not
> stolen last Tuesday night, my automotive security precautions
> must be judged to be excellent, despite the fact that I usually
> don't bother locking my car doors.

Actually, more like arguing that your automotive security is excellent,
despite the fact that you don't lock the doors, AND despite the fact
the car has been at the repair shop since last Tuesday so you haven't
actually seen it since then. After all, surely the shop would let you
know if it had been stolen (and check all the cars on their lot, every
night).

---
Dred Scott 1857; Santa Clara 1876; Plessy 1892;
Korematsu 1944; Eldred 2003